Rider recipe: Mike's almond nut butter balls
Here is another great recipe from Vectos' Mike Axon - protein-packed, convenient and easy to make. The perfect vegan snack to keep the energy levels high whilst out riding this summer.
- 75 g smooth almond butter
- 100 g medjool dates
- 100 g walnuts
- 25 g dried coconut
- 50 g rolled oats
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 50 g chocolate protein powder
- 20 g coconut or almond flour
- 50 g hazelnuts, chopped
Optional: 1 tbsp agave syrup for sweetness
- Soak dates in water for three hours
- Put the almond butter in the freezer for three hours
- Take the almond butter from the freezer and make it into 18 tiny balls, using 1/3 a teaspoon for each. Place back in freezer until ready to use.
- Drain the dates and put in a blender with the walnuts
- Mix all ingredients, excluding the almond butter and hazelnuts, together in a bowl to form a dough consistency. Place in the fridge for 10-20 minutes
- Remove from the fridge and roll into 15 balls
- Use your thumb to press a hole into each ball to insert the almond butter spheres and then roll the dough around to cover (similar to placing mozzarella in arancini balls).
- Place back in the fridge for 5 minutes to firm up
- Roll balls into the chopped hazelnuts to cover