Rider recipe: Shona's granola banana muffins
This week we're sharing this recipe from Club Peloton member Shona Virden, Elliott Wood. Shona's granola banana muffins are easy to make and the perfect pick-me-up snack mid-ride. Enjoy!
Granola Banana Muffins:
Makes approximately 24 cakes.
Easy to make and a delicious pick-me-up mid-ride; feel free to mix and match ingredients if you don’t like some, as I’ve found that most nuts and fruit found in the cupboard work pretty well! Will last about a week in a cake tin/tupperware, and can also be frozen. Sugar can be reduced to 250-300g if you prefer a more savoury snack.
450g plain flour
400g caster sugar
2tsp baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
175ml milk (alternatives such as oat/almond also work)
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g melted butter, cooled
2 bananas, mashed
1 banana, chopped
125g granola (I prefer plain unsweetened, but feel free to experiment)
125g chopped/crushed walnuts (or any nuts you have in the cupboard)
125g shredded coconut
50g banana chips
- Preheat the oven to 175C/155C fan and line muffin tins with paper cases.
- Other than the chopped banana and banana chips, mix everything in a bowl.
- Once you have a consistent mixture, fold in the chopped banana.
- Spoon the mixture equally between the paper cases and sprinkle the tops with the banana chips.
- Bake for 25 mins, or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Jump on the bike with a few in your back pocket, you’ll be racing up Box Hill in no time!
Recipe adapted from AllRecipies